Removable Insulation Jackets for Pressure-Reducing Valves
Pressure-reducing valves (PRVs) are commonly overlooked components through which valuable heat can be lost, especially in steam systems. Removable insulation jackets may be the solution.
Pressure-reducing valves go by a few names such as PRVs or pressure regulators. Regardless of the name, the essential function is the same: to lower the pressure of high-pressure liquids or gasses to meet the need of particular application, regardless of pressure fluctuations in the liquid or gas that flows in the valve. Pressure-reducing valves have many different specific applications, from municipal water lines to SCUBA tanks to steam systems in industrial plants.
It is in steam-using plants where we most often see the need for insulation covers on pressure-reducing valves. In these plants, the steam is often generated at very high pressures and then reduced via the PRVs to safely meet the specific requires of the steam-using components and equipment. Should the PRV allow too much steam to pass the receiving component or equipment may not be able to handle the pressure; should the PRV reduce the pressure too much, the receiving equipment may not work optimally. For this reason, PRVs must be regularly monitored, maintained, and adjusted – and this is why they cannot be insulated with traditional stay-in-place insulation.
However, steam is hot; and pressurized steam is often even hotter. While the pipes in which this steam travels are often well insulated, the PRVs commonly provide a “weak spot” for heat to escape via the conductive metal surface area of the valve. Removable insulation covers can help. Removable insulation covers can keep heat from escaping the pressure-reducing valve and can also help eliminate the safety hazard of exposed hot metal.
Thermaxx Jackets Removable Pressure-Reducing Valve Insulation Covers
Thermaxx Jackets provides PRV insulation cover for your specific valve needs. Our pressure-reducing valve insulation covers share the following traits:
- No loss of PRV functionality: For diaphragm-type PRVs, our PRV jackets leave the diaphragm chamber uncovered to allow the diaphragm to be exposed to ambient room temperature to prevent interference with the PRV’s mechanics.
- The Right Fit: We design our covers for exact fit for specific PRV models. Standard sizing ranges from 2″-12″. We provide PRV jackets for popular makes like Spence, Leslie, Armstrong, Hoffman, and more. In addition, we design to exact specifications for custom jobs.
- Convenience: Our PRV insulation jackets are designed to be removed and replaced in minutes by any personnel.
- Cost effective: Our insulation jackets can be purchased using standard 1”. 1.5”, or 2” thickness. If you have a preferable exterior jacket temperature, our designers can easily and cost effectively design an insulation thickness that brings the exterior temperature of the jacket to your requirement. We also offer insulation jackets for a variety of temperature needs (up to and sometimes beyond 6000F) and a variety of application needs. We provide you with the jacket that meets your exact needs, because being able to buy exactly the jacket you need means you don’t have to pay for unneeded materials.
- High quality: As with all Thermaxx Jackets, our pressure-reducing valve insulation covers are backed by an industry-leading 5 year guarantee. We stand behind our PRV jackets, because they are meticulously designed and crafted to remain effective under harsh conditions for extended periods of time.
Got Questions? We’ll be more than happy to help you determine if and which types of insulation jackets are appropriate for your Pressure-Reducing Valves and specific application. Contact us today!