According to the U.S. Department of Energy, any surface over 120°F should be insulated using insulation blankets, including boiler surfaces…” That also includes boiler doors, steam drum covers, access doors, etc. In addition to the main boiler body, the pipes connecting to your boiler should also be insulated. In this article we will identify what boiler pipes are, why they should be insulated, and the best method to insulate your boiler pipes.
What are Boiler Pipes?
A boiler is a closed vessel in which fluid (water or steam) is heated. Fluid that is intended to be heated is transported to and enters the boiler via a pipe. The fluid then goes through a heating process and is carried away through pipes to its destination. The fluid-carrying pipes that enter and exit a boiler are called boiler pipes.
Why Boiler Pipes Should Be Insulated
The fluid heating process that occurs inside of a boiler requires energy. Supplying the energy to power a boiler to heat fluid can be costly. Therefore, every measure should be taken to prevent pricey thermal energy from escaping the system. Leaving boiler pipes that carry heated fluid uninsulated can radiate heat into the surrounding space, requiring more of your energy dollars to make up for lost heat.
Best Insulation for Boiler Pipes
As mentioned above, boiler pipes transport steam and other hot fluids that reach temperatures well over 200°F. The best solution for a simple residential application may be a cheap pipe wrap from a big box store. However, the best insulation for industrial boiler pipes are removable insulation blankets by Thermaxx Jackets for the following reasons:
- Made of high temperature-resistant flame-retardant materials
- Our insulation jackets are made with special PTFE/Fiberglass composite materials like EJ 1650 that can withstand temperatures up to 550°F.
- Easily removable for servicing piping
- Traditional pipe insulation like fiberglass wraps aren’t recommended by the Department of Energy because insulation frequently becomes damaged or is removed and never replaced during steam system repair.
- Improves workplace safety
- Workplace injuries can occur all too easily if high temperature components are left uncovered. Removable boiler pipe insulation protects employees from getting burned by high touch temperatures, and lowers the ambient temperature of the room.